Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Mondays

I'm thinking Mondays are going to end up being hard-to-blog days. I hang with the little ones (twoK and Three-a) in the morning, then I work all afternoon, then I got to aerobics (45 minutes), then dance class (1 hour 15), then prepare for teaching dance in oNe's class. Did I not tell you all about that? I wrote a post, or most of one, about teaching dance to first-graders, but then never finished it. I'll try to put up some information about it soon.

Today's subject.... Three-a's feet. (You can scroll back a few posts to see how cute they are with red toenail polish. However, we're not going to discuss toenail polish today.) Today, we're going to talk about Three-a's tendency to toe-in. (Warning: This post may be a little dull, but I needed to record the information.)

First, some background. When I was a kid, I was labeled "pigeon-toed" and had to wear HORRIBLE BRACES for several years. Then, all through elementary school, I had to wear "prescription" shoes. The prescription shoes had to be made from a certain kind of shoe, and boy, were they ugly. I hated them. I was teased by the other kids. (I am mostly over it.)

When Three-a and I went to visit my Mom, two of my family members pointed out how Three-a "toes-in".

Um, okay.

My family has thought each of the girls was pigeon-toed.* Apparently, they expected me to pass on this horrible deformity. The result of the comments resulted in me monitoring Three-a and how she walks. After observation, I have concluded she does have a slight tendency to toe in, but it's not too bad. It seems to be exacerbated when she wears some very inexpensive shoes from P*ayless. They are super cute, and she loves them, but I think it's probably not a good idea to let her wear them any more.

Saturday, I did some googling. I had googled this in the past, and I didn't learn much new but just so you know, and so it's recorded for posterity, I don't think her case is bad enough to warrant treatment. In addition, Three-a doesn't look like either of the pictures really. As I said above, I think it's more lack of support (arch support) in her cheap shoes that is causing her to walk on the inside of her foot and making it look more toed-in than it really is. (Also, from the pictures and the description, I am pretty sure that I had excess femoral anteversion. Note, for most causes, doctor's don't do anything any more. (Think of all the trauma I suffered, and it was probably needless.))

I'll discuss Three-a's feet and how she walks with her doctor at her 4-year-old well-kid check (but that's not until August). In the meantime, as I said above, she won't wear her cheap shoes any more. No sense in having her wear shoes that make the problem worse (or even just look worse). Maybe Three-a's been walking toed-in because she just wanted new shoes. Saturday, we went shoe shopping. I got her some shoes that have better support. She does walk "better" in them--much less toed-in-y.

Because of the "issue," we went to the really expensive shoe store. The place I never go and buy shoes unless they are on sale.... (Actually, I bought all of the "first shoes" there. It seemed important to have a little ritual for our new walker, but otherwise, sales ONLY there.)

So we went there and I checked out all the shoes. I found some I thought would be good. The very knowledgeable owner was there. He's a really nice guy, has kids of his own, and LOVES shoes for kids. He spotted what I was doing, and offered some suggestions. He helped us pick out a pair of shoes that do what I want them to do. (BONUS, I don't think they were THE MOST expensive shoes in the store.)

So there you go... The story of Three-a's feet and her new shoes.



*Yes, my family made me paranoid about twoK and oNe as well. I monitored both twoK and oNe for this and never saw pigeon-toed walking from them.

2 comments:

Mrs. CP said...

Now this is a subject our family knows a lot about. :-) D(3) has excess femoral anteversion. And because of his leg muscle weakness he *may* be a good candidate for the surgery when he is about 9 or 10 years old. The ped. orthopedist has said that with most kids their muscles will correct the bone, but D's muscles may not be strong enough to correct it and so he may need the surgery. A PT friend of mine could not remember how invasive the surgery is or how hard the recovery is, but she did say that of all the kids she had seen get this surgery it was highly successful.

For now, D does turn his feet quite a lot.. especially his right foot. It is VERY noticeable. But he doesn't trip over his feet and it doesn't cause him pain. He is on the brink of running (but that's more a muscle weakness issue, not having enough strength to push off the floor to get airborne than it is an issue with intoeing. We just saw the orthopedist a couple of weeks ago and for now he says D does not need any treatment for it.

A (6.5) also has EFA and we're hoping she will "grow out of it" since she doesn't have the muscle weakness issue in her legs like D.

How does T's feet look when she walks/runs barefooted?

Oh, and R had to wear those awful braces too for several years in elementary school. R does not intoe now as an adult (actually I do, ironically) so I'm hopeful that A and D may stop intoeing as they get older. I'm fully expecting to face this all again as R2 gets a bit older.

JK said...

I think T's feet look pretty good when she walks barefooted... a slight toe-in, but just slight. That's why my "diagnosis" is that better shoes will help. We'll see what her doctor says when she turns four. :-)

Keep me posted on A and her legs. :-)