Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Memories

A few days ago, we started discussing New Year's with the girls. twoK remembered that you watch TV and there's a big ball. I can't remember if she thought it went up or down, but she knew that when it reached the bottom (or top) it was New Year's. She also remembered that you got to yell "Happy New Year!"

She's only 4.5 so the last time she did this she was only 3.5. Pretty impressive memory I'd say. She also remembered we were at the house of friends (L, K, D, J, and G).

Tonight, we decided not to go to a New Year's party. We decided to stay home. Part of the reason is that we just got new bookshelves in our house and I wanted to tackle organizing some of our boxes of books. I think I got rid of 4 or 5 boxes today. The bookshelves are full and we still have 8-10 more boxes. Hrm.

oNe was so helpful. She worked for 2 hours with me as I pulled books from boxes and she dusted them and put them on shelves. She also ran a lot of books downstairs and her Daddy put them on another bookshelf. Oh boy, do we need more shelves. I had suggested to MWH another place we could add shelves, but I didn't realize how much we'd NEED them. Maybe I'll go measure.

Another reason we decided not to go to the party is that I am feeling a little overwhelmed by life still. Dad isn't doing well. Yesterday, I was talking to my brother and he was saying how he thought Dad could have quite a bit of time left. He thought he was doing okay. This morning, he called with a very different assessment. I am very sad.

I don't know whether I should go home now or not. There isn't much I can do, but it sounds like Mom would like me to be there. If I go, do I take one, two, or three of the girls? When do I go? Argh. I have to start googling tickets and figuring out what makes the most sense.

Despite the news from my brother, we had a nice day with friends. We hung with our favorite folks and had our favorite meal. I keep finding myself up and down and up and down. The emotional roller coaster is so hard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should go...just to give yourself the gift of peace of mind. I know it weighs heavily on you. I'm not sure if you should take the girls or not, though. That could be a lot of work. Maybe just go for a weekend and access the situation for a future visit? :::hugs:::

Zaz said...

If you don't want any of those books anymore I'll sell them on Half.com for you! I love selling stuff. The going rate is 50% but I might give you a better deal :)