Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I have a problem...

I meet lots of people and they introduce themselves...

I try to remember all the names, but I am not always successful....

The problem is when you meet people, and you hear their names right away, you don't know whether you'll actually be friends or not, so you don't know whether to really learn their name, or whether it's not really necessary...

But then...after you talk with someone for months it seems silly to ask their name again... You know?

One woman was in one of the classes I took with Three-a. We saw each other every Friday for about a year... We liked each other. I didn't know her name... She wanted to do play dates and she was really nice, but I didn't know her name. I concocted this whole scheme to find out her name and it didn't work.

Sigh.

I finally learned her name without asking... It was good.

Now she's a friend in facebook.

Now, I have this problem again with someone in another class. I *think* MWH helped me figure out her name... She works where he works and I think through process of elimination in the company directory we determined her name. I'm now going to have to test out her name and see if she responds... I'll be sure to do it in a crowd and just yell _____i... If she's not named _____i, then I'll learn who is named _____i and we can go from there...

I'm pretty sure her name is _____i.

Have you ever not known the name of someone you should have known? What have you done?

Argh.

4 comments:

PS said...

Yea, have your husband introduce himself to her. "Hi, I'm X, J's husband; tell me your name again?". If you're there, make sure you have something in your mouth at the time so you couldn't possibly jump in (don't want to be rude and speak with your mouth full ;)

Mrs. CP said...

Happens to me all the time in R's line of work... I am terrible with names... so I just say that... "Forgive me, I'm terrible with names, can you tell me yours again? " No one seems to mind.

Anonymous said...

I'm horrible with names too. HORRIBLE. I don't do anything except admit upfront that I'm horrible with names and ask "please tell me your name again," like a moron anytime I encounter the person. It's worked so far.

PS my word verification for this comment is: bangs. I do need a trim! lol

Zaz said...

I guess I just don't meet that many people... it doesn't seem to come up much! Hmm... that sounds kind of sad.