Thursday, October 11, 2007

Schedule change

As if my life isn't insane enough....

N's school switched kindergarten times on us for this week because they are doing Parent-Teacher conferences. Instead of going in the afternoon, like usual, they are having N go at 8:30. To be exact, they are having all kindergarteners go in the morning.

This is NOT FUN. We are all extra-exhausted because of this. When I got the flyer announcing this change, I looked at it and shrieked, "IS THIS EVEN LEGAL TO DO?????" The first morning, when I got N up at 7:50, she was stumbling around saying, "It's so early."

I know sweetheart! We are so not morning people.

Now, N and K (3) are going to bed early and they are getting up okay. However, I'm still exhausted. My work load doesn't change--I still have to do stuff late at night. MWH is exhausted too.

I am SO ANNOYED at the school for doing this to the families. In addition to the exhaustion, K is totally disrupted... She hasn't been wanting to go to preschool in the afternoon because N is home and she wants to play with N. She skipped school yesterday and today. I don't feel I should make her go to preschool if she doesn't want to go this week. It's not K's fault that N's schoool changed EVERYTHING on us.

The school obviously didn't take into consideration how disruptive it would be to all of the families, their schedules, their daycare set-ups, and a lot of other things when they decided to make the change. They made the change because it's better for the teachers.

I get why it's better for the teachers, but the teachers are grown-ups. The other way wouldn't have changed the teacher's schedules, it just would have been slightly inconvenient for them. This way completely SUCKS for us. The teachers are only 6 people.... The change is negatively impacting all the kids and their families--many more than 6 people. This is one case where it seems for the good of the many should have applied... They could have kept the same schedule and just inconvenienced the teachers a little more than doing what they are doing....

What are your thoughts on this?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of such a thing. I remember when my Natalie went to PM Kindergarten. I can't imagine them changing up the schedule for a week. That's CRAZY. I'm totally with you on this one. So sorry you're having such a challenging week. Serenity now!

Jennifer said...

We just went through this last week. It was brutal. Not sure why they do it that way.