Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Home sweet home

Since I couldn't sleep last night, I thought about how I could find Jake's people. I was planning to take him to our vet today to check for an identification chip. As I thought about it, I realized our vet, ~3-4 miles away, didn't make as much sense as the vet about 1/2 a mile from our house. Jake eagerly jumped in my car, leaped from the back storage to the back seat and then to the front in a blur of motion. He also tried to sit in my lap and help drive. I am glad we were only going 1/2 a mile!

When we got to the vet, they did not find an identity chip. I asked if they could check their patient records to see if, by chance, he was a patient since we lived so close. There was a "Jake." The picture they had on file looked just like him. He lived very close to me-- street or two over from our house, separated by woodsy terrain. They asked if he was neutered. I said, I don't think so, he looks "intact." Match so far. They called, left a message, and a few moments later Jake's person called back and confirmed Jake was missing. She was excited he was okay.

A happy ending!

(N's not so happy. She really wanted him to be our dog. It's tough to be 5 and 3/4s.)

2 comments:

Kate said...

I am glad that you found the owner of the dog. I know that if one of my dogs got out I would be really upset. I know it has to be hard to explain to the girls though.

I have read your blog for a long time. I don't even remember how I came across it. I would love to be able to read your "other" blog you are attempting to update too. :) My email address is katethompson13@gmail.com

Thanks,
Kate

Anonymous said...

Yay! I love a happy doggie ending. Would you consider getting Natalie a dog? Though, I have to say, it will pass. I rescued a dog at the lake once and Nat was broken up over having to return him to his owners (took us several days to find them) but then she was fine. Kids are so resilient!