Monday, April 30, 2007

overheard

This morning, I was at the coffee shop--no surprise there--and I saw a group of students gathering to study. Aww, how nice, I thought. As I walked closer, one of the students was sharing his wisdom. His advice... "I've found that you don't need to read the text book. Professors always test you over what they cover in their lecture. They rarely include things that aren't covered in their lectures on the test. I wouldn't bother to read the textbook unless it's really of interest to you."

I shared this with my students today and they all laughed. I have been really stressing that they read the book. They can't get it all from my lecture. I don't cover everything in the book. I don't have time.

It's also a "rule" that for 3 hour classes you're supposed to spend 6-9 hours outside of class studying each week. I make my tests so that if they spend 6 hours a week with the book and studying they'll get an A for sure. Most students could probably get an A on my tests if they just spent 2-3 hours a week with the book outside of class.




Did I mention that there are only 4 more classes this semester?????

I have a lot to do still.... We have 4 more chapters to cover!

Did I mention that this class is a lot of work, but I'm (mostly) loving it? I don't love it when the students are annoying. I do love it when I sense they are learning something. I do love it when they realize that I actually do care about them and that I'm not doing this for my own sake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So does this mean you're going to teach another class in the fall? Or summer terms even?