Friday, April 20, 2007

Don't lick my tomatoes

That's what I told T (20 months). Tonight, while we were eating dinner, she was sitting on my lap. She indicated she wanted one of the cherry tomatoes in my salad and I told her to take it. She grabbed one. She tried to take a bite out of it and then decided she didn't want it, but I was distracted and didn't notice. The next time I looked at my salad, I realized she had put the cherry tomato she had bitten back in my salad, and had pulled the another one out and was licking it. Who knows if she licked more.

I had to tell K (2.9), "Don't bite my oven mitts," just a few moments later. I can't believe some of the things I have to say.



One good thing about dinner tonight, I made salmon. Every once in a while, I really like salmon. I haven't made it in a couple of years. All I do is mix up spicy mustard, balsamic vinegar and honey and slather the salmon in it. Then bake... or broil... or grill... Your choice. Yum.

I don't know the quantities of the above ingredients... Probably 3 parts mustard, 1 or 2 parts balsamic vinegar and 1 part honey... I don't know... just to-taste.

N (5) surprised us and ate a lot of salmon tonight. She had been asking me to make fish for quite a while. (She loves to look at the (dead) fish in the grocery store and decided we should eat some a while ago. I told her we'd make fish when her grandparents came to visit. She was so excited. She helped me cook.)

One bad thing about dinner, I made salmon. MWH hates fish. Because of this, I had to do dishes... He was scared of them. I can't complain... Probably the last time I did dishes was the last time I made salmon.



I could do another entry on octegenarian time, but it's probably enough to say...I hung with my parents all day. We sat a lot. We went to lunch, and then we sat. We sat and we sat and we sat and we sat. (And I read the Cat in the Hat tonight... Can you tell?) It was a nice day, but so very different than what I'm used to days being like.

Oh, and then there were "the comments." Comments like, "I've never seen a rose bush trimmed like that.... Have you? It's so pretty, but I've just never seen one trimmed like that..." The amazement continues for 5 more minutes. And the discussion of the number of trips up and down my stairs at our house. My Dad counted that he went up and down 4 round trips.... But he was saying 8 trips and this led to a long debate between my parents about how many trips up and down the stairs they'd made today. And if it was better to count the trips as round trips or one-way trips. They are cute, and I enjoy them, but sometimes I really wonder if I am related to them.



I should go to sleep soon. Who knows what time T will be up tonight. The little non-sleeping troublemaker took a three-hour nap (yea, that song again) today. I didn't. I am exhausted!

1 comment:

RUTH said...

I just laughed so much about the tomatoes and oven mitts that I had to read them out to D. My snickers about the octegenarians were quiet enough that I've got away without reading that out too.

I hope that T adjusts to your parents in the house soon. Sleep deprivation is so draining. Next time - take that nap!