Monday, April 16, 2007

The 6 o'clock hour

Miss T (19 months) is not a great sleeper... She usually wakes up and cries for a while most (70%) nights. I usually ignore her. Unless she cries a certain way, then I know she's poopy* and needs a diaper change. The worst time for her to cry is after 6 am. This morning she started around 6:15.... When it's 6 am, the sun is starting to rise and it's nearly impossible for me to go back to sleep and ignore her.

I tried to ignore her. I tried and tried and tried. At 6:41 she did "the certain cry thing" and I realized she needed a diaper change. I went down, changed her, nursed her, and told her, "Believe it or not, it's still night-night time." She solemnly nodded. She went back in her crib, waved and I haven't heard a peep since. I went back to bed at 7:06. I knew it was pretty much futile.

At 7:23, I heard K (2.9) get out of bed, stumble upstairs, take herself to the bathroom, wash hands, and come in our room**. I told her it was not yet 8 and she needed to go back to her bed. She burst into tears. I pulled her in bed with us, stayed for about 10 minutes, and then I decided to give up and get up. K's still in bed. I think she went back to sleep.

I am tired and grumpy.
My parents come tomorrow***.
I am still a bit sick. I needed my rest.
I have 4 million and one things to do today.



*Mommy blog. Get over it.
**Yea, pretty impressive for a 2.9 year old.
***Unless they change their mind. I told them yesterday how we were still a house o' germs and offered to pay the change fee on their tickets if they wanted to postpone their trip. I doubt they will postpone. I sounded pretty awful when I told them coughing and sniffling, so there is a chance. It's really going to suck when T does this cry things and my parents are here. The guest room is right next to T's room. I don't really have another place to put either the guests or T. Gotta start thinking creatively.

1 comment:

RUTH said...

When we have guests they are usually in the room directly above H & K's room. I always ask how they slept and if H & K have woken me in the night I'll ask specifically about that. So far no guest has ever admitted to being woken and most of them have come back several times (even ones with other options for free places to stay in Wellington). So my advice is - wait and see what happens. Probably they'll sleep right through T (even though you don't).