Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Lollipop biting gene?

One of the fun things to do after combining your DNA with someone else and having offspring is trying to determine the genotype of the individual based on the phenotypical expression. And of course the biggest fun is determining what particular genes each parent contributed.

As far as energy level, we're pretty sure who trumped on that one. The girls are all very high energy.

Currently MWH is winning on hair color, but I'm holding out hope that N (5) and T (18 months) may turn into brunettes. Miss K (2.75) will probably be the fairest and a blonde.

The other day I saw evidence for a gene that I didn't even know existed, but I am excited about it.

When MWH eats a lollipop, he doesn't crunch into it. When N (5) eats a lollipop, she doesn't either. Neither does K (2.75). When I eat a lollipop, a few licks and then... C*R*U*N*C*H. Miss T (18 months) has had 3 or 4 lollipops thus far in her life. I'm happy to report she crunches immediately and devours the lollipop quickly. I don't even think she licks first. She makes her Mommy proud!

Genotype guessing: I'm guessing the allele for biting is recessive and that I'm double recessive and that MWH has a dominant and recessive gene. N and K are like MWH one dominant and one recessive, and T is like me double recessive. Heh.

1 comment:

RUTH said...

D eats chocolate, lollies and ice cream cones very, very, very slowly. I eat chocolate in milliseconds, crunch lollies and nibble ice cream cones. I find it very hard not to bite sore throat lozenges. H takes after her Dad. K is more like me (although still pretty slow on the ice cream cone consumption).

Interestingly D & I can both roll our tongues, K can and H can't.