Tuesday, February 20, 2007

An afternoon with Miss N

Whenever I pick up N (5) from pre-school, and she's outside playing, I love watching her. I love searching the playground to see what she's doing and the delight she's taking doing it. She's always full of energy and wonder.

Tonight, she was sitting at the table waiting for me. She said, "Mama, I missed you." And then in the same breath, "Do you think Daddy can pick me up soon? I like it when he picks me up."

It's okay, she's a total Daddy's girl. I love seeing the bond they have. I love watching them hang. I told her I'd see when Daddy could take off work and come get her. She was happy.

On the drive home from school she tells me, "Since I am learning to read in school, I am going to make Miss A and Miss R a one-vowel word collection." She is so smart. I don't think I knew what vowels were until first grade. I don't think I knew what a "one-vowel word" was until much later. I was probably in graduate school studying reading abilities in children when I learned about them. (Okay, it was probably earlier than that.)

N's preschool is amazing. I sure hope Kindergarten is this good next year.

She's sitting her at the table making her one-vowel word collection. And I kid you not, but she just said, "Some of my words have digraphs in them. I asked if she could give an example of a digraph. She could. She said, "This is an example. So is the." Oh my, kindergarten has a lot to live up to!

Okay, upon further investigation, she's a little confused as to what a "digraph" is. (I was a little worried that she might be trying to take my job away soon. She was almost qualified!) It turned out she was talking about sight words... But still...they teach so many metacognitive strategies at her school. It really is amazing. She gets it.

Stay tuned for some pictures of her one-vowel word collection!

No comments: