Saturday, January 20, 2007

More

Today, K called carousels (K___sels). Pretty funny.

T is 17 months old, and it's not common for babies of this age to say that many words. Because she understands everything we say to her when we speak to her, I keep expecting her to speak more. (Seriously, she understands every request we give her and completes 95% of them accurately. On the other 5% she just stands and shrieks like a toddler.) She also communicates very well by pointing, nodding and screeching when she doesn't like something or when she really really wants something!

It doesn't seem like she is learning words very quickly right now (the vocabulary boom should start within a month though), but today she learned and began to say, "yuck," and "trash." (She kept trying to clean things up off the ground at the park. I kept telling her, "No, Yuck! Trash! Yuck! She began to repeat that.)

2 comments:

RUTH said...

When you say "she understands everything we say" do you mean everything you say to her or everything said in her surroundings? I ask because one of the many differences between H & K is that if H is playing she is still listening to the adult conversation. When she was little, like one, she'd suddenly be upset with me when I was talking to a friend and I'd have to rewind the conversation to work out what we'd said that had worried her. On the other hand I have conversations with K that go "K, are you listening to me? K. K! Look at me."

I have started worrying K has a hearing problem, not just a listening problem and I'm planning to get that checked out soon.

JK said...

Everything we say to her in context ... It doesn't have to be in her surroundings (our house). When we're out, but when we speak to her, she listens and understands.

I clarified the entry a little. Hope that makes more sense. I hope K doesn't have a hearing problem N is NOT a good listener. Not at all. I used to worry a lot about her.