Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I HATE traffic

From my work, to N's preschool, it takes the following amounts of time for the following pick-up times. The distance doesn't change, just the TRAFFIC. Did I mention that I hate traffic?

3:30 pick-up 10-15 minutes
4:00 pick-up 10-20 minutes
4:30 pick-up 15-25 minutes
5:00 pick-up 20-30 minutes
5:30 pick-up 25-45 minutes
6:00 pick-up 40-?? minutes

The place ends care at 6. Today, I got in my car at 5:10 and got to the school at 5:55. It was stressful. MWH was in a meeting and I couldn't get ahold of him. When he called back, at 5:45, he couldn't have left his office, walked to his car and made it to the preschool in time. [Section deleted (due to language) about MWH and his cell phone.]

I was so worried that I wasn't going to get N in time. Fortunately, I did.

From this post, you can probably guess that I was really busy today. I got a request for data from a client last night and I had to spend 2 hours thinking about it. Two hours I hadn't planned on spending on it TODAY, but that's what we have to do. My class starts tomorrow and I don't have all the copies I need of the syllabus because I had to fight with the copier. I forgot how sucky copy machines are. Of course, the good one is "out of service" and I had to use an old one. I should have looked for another one, but I didn't have that much time and I don't know where the others are (besides, if you go to another floor, people look at you funny).

Okay... More later.

1 comment:

RUTH said...

Sometime you aren't busy (ha, ha) you might enjoy reading this which is a serious piece of economics about picking kids up late from day care.

http://www.econ.umn.edu/~arust/Fine.pdf

If that link know longer works put "A Fine is a Price" into Google and you'll find it somewhere.

There is also an unpublished follow up where the experiment was repeated.