Monday, September 11, 2006

5 years ago...

It was a Tuesday. We woke up to my brother calling. I couldn't hear him exactly on the answering machine... It sounded like he said something about bombing something. I got up and listened to it again. My brother is known for his practical jokes, but he had said New York City. My Wonderful Husband (MWH) and I were supposed to go to NY that Friday to see my friend and meet her new baby. I was about 22 weeks pregnant with N.

I went to play the message on the answering maching again and it DID say "terrorists" and "the World Trade Center blown up." I was still a little sleepy and I didn't know if my brother was joking or not. I didn't think he'd joke about something like that, but I was hoping that perhaps he was. I ran for my computer (to look at Google news) and MWH flipped on the TV. For an eternity he and I stayed in bed watching it all on TV. It was completely surreal.

I was very stressed that day. Little N was a very quiet and calm baby inside of me, but that day she kicked like crazy. She must have been feeling my stress. MWH andf I couldn’t stop watching the TV for fear that something else bad would happen. Finally around noon we were both depressed and freaked out and decided we should go to work. Driving into work was very weird. I felt totally vulnerable in a way I never had before. I stayed at work for about 2 hours, but I felt better having gone. Very few people were there. The ones who were there were hugging and crying a lot--and I don't work in a huggy kind of place.

I am glad that on most days life now seems similar to what it was before 9/11/01. 5 years ago I wondered what it would be like. I am so sorry for all the people who lost loved ones. It was a horrible, horrible day.

No comments: