Sunday, August 13, 2006

short a, Long A

Miss N (4.5), when she wasn't driving me crazy, picked up her magna doodle and drew a little "a" with the little "short vowel" symbol over it. Then she drew a big "A" with the "long vowel" symbol over it. Then she explained to her daddy (MWH) that the little "a" was a "short a" and said the aaaaa sound and that the Big A was a LONG "A" and said the AAAY sound.

I. am. proud. As far as learning to read goes, she can sound out each letter individually, but she won't put them all together in a word. She is stuck there. She spells words. She is close. She still has a year before kindergarten. She "reads" books, but they are just memorized. She has had books memorized since she was 2. I have videos of her "reading" then. She also seems to just not be motivated right now. It's summer. I'll cut her some slack.

(I am really not a stressed out Mom about this. I just like to record developments here. I don't know if I sound worried about it when I write it, but I'm not. I just like to document the little details!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like N is so on the verge of reading! How exciting. I have a friend who recommended this book to teach your child to read: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons by Siegfried Engelmann.
I haven't gotten it yet. Rachel is getting close to the point where we could try it, but I don't think she's truly there just yet. It might be worth checking out.

Mrs. CP said...

We tried Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons with A. It wasn't a good fit for her, so we're using The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading and it is really clicking for her now. But the 100 Lessons one isn't expensive to try out and I know several kids who have learned to read from it. With either one, the lessons are quick - about 15 minutes MAX. OH, and check out http://starfall.com - it's free and so cool! A loves this and can do it all by herself. She's practically teaching herself to read from that site. K (our friends in WI/reading teacher) loved this site when I showed it to her. I bet N would get a kick out of it.