Monday, August 28, 2006

another little rant...

I feel like I'm 80 or something... I feel like I should be shaking my fist saying, "No daughter of mine...."

Not really, but tonight in dance class, we got some new students. The new ones were about 5 or 6 teenage girls. Usually the youngest student in our class is out of college and in her 20's. Most of the people are in their 30's, a few in their 40's, a few in their 50's and probably even a few in their 60s. It's a good class. You do what you are physically able to do. You can always do more if you want. It's a challenging class.

Having teeny boppers in the class is weird.

They were overwhelmed by us I think.

Actually, they probably didn't really pay any attention to us, and we're okay with that. We didn't pay them much attention either.

Except for the girl wearing the skin tight "Juicy Couture" shirt that says, "Have a Juicy Day."

Maybe it's the lactation hormones, but I just don't think you should wear that shirt unless you can back it up with a squirt.

Cleary that was not something she was capable of doing. She was shaped very nicely and I'm quite sure she couldn't lactate.

I respect the people behind Juicy Couture. (The link takes you to a good story.) However, I think their clothes are overpriced and not that attractive (this is the part where I really start sounding like I'm 80).

(And then I continue sounding 80...) What about the idea of your daughter wearing a tight t-shirt that says that across her chest? Am I just a boring prude to think that I don't want my daughter(s) doing that?

I get that Juicy is cool, but I also just don't get it. Really, it just looks tacky to me--especially the t-shirt.

If my daughters NEED Juicy Couture, or whatever the equivalent is in 2015, how will I handle it? I'll probably let them budget their own money to buy it... but will I buy it for them? I don't know. I really like how my sister-in-law raised her daughters. She gave them a clothing allowance and told them they had to figure out how to buy all the clothes they wanted for the school year with it. She always bought them underwear and socks but they had to buy the rest. I think this teaches responsibility and budgeting.

Okay, I'm done with the rant. Let me know what you think about anything in this post.

2 comments:

RUTH said...

My girls get lots of hand-me-downs from a cousin. I try and pick out the 'over my dead body' items before they get to see them.

What three year-old needs a tiny crop-top which which looks just like a bra?

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. I was given a clothing allowance and had to budget while my younger sister did not. Guess who is better with money now that we are adults?? :)