Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Lessons

The other day I was going to take N (4) and K (2) to the park for a little picnic. N wanted to take her kitty (stuffed) with a teacup (plastic) on his head. It was his "hat." He liked wearing it. She couldn't be pursuaded to not keep it on him. I didn't want to take it because I knew we would lose it. Even though it was just a plastic teacup, it is part of a cute little set. It drives me crazy to lose one piece of something.



I reasoned with her. I told her she couldn't go to the park if she didn't leave it. She screamed. I got upset and spoke rather loudly. It bordered on yelling, but not as loud or as angry as I've been in the past. (I was tired, but I wasn't really angry.) Finally I had her sit in the chair by the door and K and I walked outside and shut the door. She screamed and sobbed. I counted to 5. I went in and asked if she wanted to go. She said yes... I told her to stop crying. She tried. We left with kitty, but no hat.

And now the point of the story.... (all that was just background)

As she walked out sniffling and sobbing, K said, "Sorry N__N___... Sorry." N replied, "You didn't do anything K." I was expecting her to say, "Mommy wouldn't let me bring kitty and his hat." INSTEAD she said, "I wasn't listening. I should have just listened."

Wow. She's growing up and "getting it." I am proud. All the frustration I felt before was instantly gone. Yay N.

No comments: