Monday, June 05, 2006

So many things

There are so many things I want to write about, but I'm tired. K (2) and T (9.5 months) are tag teaming us with bad sleeping nights. I know they are trying to break us. I'll start writing random stuff and see how far I get.

Rude Sales People
This weekend, I encountered two sales people that both said rude things. One implied that the shoes I was wearing weren't stylish and that I should buy the ones I was trying. In my opinion, it's not a good tactic to insult your customers.

I tried on the shoes and then said they didn't fit my foot (they really didn't) and didn't buy them. He really made me mad, and even if they had fit, I would not have bought them from him. My shoes are not "this year's shoe" but a lot of people wear them, and they aren't terrible.

The other salesperson was just downright b*tchy-rude. I had to go buy pants for the dance show I'm in this weekend. (Did I tell you about that???) (I haven't done a show since college. That's been ummmm... well, more than 10 and less than 20 years.) I went to the dance store my teacher recommended and asked about the kind of pants we need. The salesperson, who was about 17, wrinkled her nose and said, "We don't carry those pants any more. They are just not in anymore."

I asked if they had any thing similar to the pant I needed. She said, "No." She didn't ask if she could help in other way, or try to be creative, but she was very young. I actually found pants that will work (and if she'd asked any questions she might have been able to direct me to them). I told someone about the experience in my class tonight and she said that she had never encountered any rude at the store. I guess the people who work on Sunday aren't the best people.

What else...

Oh yea... I'm in a dance show. Me and my extra 5-7 pounds of me. I'm okay with it. We're not wearing skimpy costumes and it's a number with about 30-ish people in it, so no one will really be looking at just me. I'm hoping to be positioned in the back. (We haven't staged the number yet because we haven't yet had a rehearsal with everyone in the number.) It's a fun-fun fast-paced number.


Work Stuff
Oh, here's something I've been meaning to tell you about... It's an update. Remember when I told you my colleague and I were told we couldn't start up the new project yet, and I was so upset, and I cried?? Well, the woman who made me cry really didn't understand our idea because she hadn't actually read our proposal before she met with us.

How lame is that?

Despite evil woman who is gatekeeper and doesn't actually understand things because she doesn't read them, we're continuing to work on things and we are frustrated but feel we will get things going by January/February. We understand the process that our group goes through, and it is a process that will make us more likely to be successful, but it's no fun going through it.

There's more, but I'm tired. Remind me I want to tell you a story about a young professor who was on the "fast track" to big time career success, and his type was one of the reasons I left the university world, and then he gets mired down in a soap-opera-like story. The guy who this happened to was a nice enough guy, and I am sorry that his career is kind of down the tube now, but he did it to himself. I'll fill you in on the details soon.

My little girls are all very cute--even if they don't let me sleep as late as I want to sleep. I must go and sleep now because either K or T will be up at 6 am and expect that I should also get up to entertain them.

No comments: