Friday, June 23, 2006

Reason #357 why I'm not sure if I like the new babysitter.

New babysitter (NB) gave T a cold. Okay, I can't be 100% sure, it's NB's fault, but NB has a snuffly one. T is sitting beside me with her nose running down her face. T's also awake. It's before 7 am. T is so stuffy-nosed that she can't sleep well. NB tried to blame the cold on my children. NB said, "I probably got it here." I think we now have evidence that it wasn't from us. T wouldn't be sick now if it was.

Other reasons include...

Her pants... NB wears those pants that show her butt when she bends over. She's been here about 10 times now and 9 of the times she's worn those pants. I think she might actually have 2 or 3 pairs of the same jeans that just don't fit her well.

The second time she was here, I came home and she hadn't wiped K's (2) bottom after K had pooped. When I went to change K's diaper I found gross old poop smeared in her diaper ... YUK. The next time NB came I was home and K was sitting on the potty doing her business... K was getting up and the new person was helping and she handed K a wipe. I gave NB a funny look and she asked, "Can she wipe herself?" I replied, "No, she's still learning about the potty. She doesn't know how to wipe. She's only 2." At least now NB wipes K.

After baths, the NB leaves the girls towels on the floor. (Yuk!)

The house gets totally trashed when NB is here. I came home to crayons in the living room. And pretty much every other toy strewn about all the entire downstairs. I have a high tolerance for mess, but I nearly lost it when I saw that mess. I calmly said, "Oh my, I think we need to dig out. This place looks like the toy box exploded." I've never left NB alone with all 3. NB should be able to clean up a bit especially on days when both T (10 months) and K (2) nap at the same time. Even I can manage that. And get a little work done too.

NB says things, like, "Don't worry, I'll clean up in here and then doesn't." She said this to me yesterday as I was starting to clean up in the kitchen and she was sitting on the floor while N (4) was completely engaged in another task. She could have done it right then. But she didn't. When I came back from an errand the place was still trashed.

NB always asks, "Is there anything else I can do?" What I want to say... Ummm, look around? There are toys everywhere and the kitchen hasn't yet been cleaned since you fed the girls lunch 2 hours ago. Instead, I take a deep breath and say, "Maybe you could straighten up in here a bit?"

She says she has baby sat for 5 kids at once. I don't know how.

The good: She does play with the girls and they seem to like her.

5 more working days until our regular super-nanny is back.

(We are having the college student we love (CSWL) help too while Super-nanny is gone, and we still love that college student. CSWL even been recruited to help train NB, because CSWL sees what NB is like. So far, the NB just isn't getting it.) Oh, what to do... Should I talk with her ... Maybe I should leave specific instructions written out. That might help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I definitely think specific instructions are in order. How old is she? Maybe she's just young enough that she doesn't get that cleaning up is part of the job description. I'd tell her that I'd appreciate it if she makes sure they clean up messes as they happen (don't get more toys out until current ones are put away, clean up lunch dishes right after lunch, etc.), that way it doesn't have to look like the toy box exploded every day. If she didn't know that a two year old might need assistance in the bathroom, then she obviously needs a few things spelled out for her (or she needs to find another job!). That's my two cents!