Thursday, June 08, 2006

The mostly fun evening

I called my husband around 6 and suggested that we go out to dinner. Around 6:15 Miss K (2) drank some water, swallowed the wrong way, and threw up. Fun fun. At the same moment, T (9.5 months) was screaming because N (4) had bonked her on the head. T had taken one of N's toys. N got in a lot of trouble for hitting the baby. Everyone was screaming except me. I was proud. I was calling my husband and begging him to come home. (I felt like a loser because I couldn't handle it, but I was really worried about K. When I'm worried I don't cope well.)

By the time my husband got home I had pretty much determined that K wasn't sick she just gagged... I also had pretty much everything under control and I felt silly for having asked him to come home. K has a very sensitive gag reflex.

The N hitting thing.... N (4) has been very aggressive and easily frustrated with her sisters lately. You can just see how frustrated she is. So she gets mad and hits them. I imagine this is just one of those 4-year old things, but I really don't like it.

If she hits, she gets a time out. It hasn't done any good. Any suggestions? In the heat of the moment, I told her that the next time she hits either sister instead of telling me that they have taken one of her toys, she LOSES the toy forever. That I will take it and toss it. I am really hoping it doesn't come to that, but I made my threat and now I have to stand by it.

(Help... any suggestions? I figure that I can take the toy away for a while and not toss it and that should work... Or if it's a toy I don't like, maybe it will get tossed. Is that awful to toss a toy?)

Anyway, despite those 15 mintues, and the throw up, we decided to go to dinner still. We went to our favorite little sandwich shop with the fountains outside of it. (Heh, by coincidence that post (linked above) also mentions K's throwing up ability... I linked to that post because it talks about the fountains. Apparently throwing up is also a part of my life a lot. Heh.) We ate and the girls ran around. For the most part they were pretty good girls. I am so glad we didn't stay home. We were all a little stir crazy and we needed the change of scenery.

All 3 girls are in bed now and asleep... It's a record. (They are never rarely all asleep by 9:30. I think I'm going to watch Buffy.)

1 comment:

Mrs. CP said...

No it's not bad to throw a toy away, but you could donate it instead and let her know you're giving it away (or have her be the one to donate it even). Roll playing might help... in a calm moment, tell N that you're going to practice what to do when someone makes you mad (takes a toy away, etc.) Take turns with her being the one who gets the toy taken away - have her be the one who takes a toy and you show her how to handle it and then switch roles - you take a toy from her and then let her "practice" how to handle it. Then the next time a real situation pops up, you can remind her to remember when you practiced how to handle it nicely? Maybe something like that would work for her...