Thursday, May 18, 2006

Wowza...

Remember when I said there was a lot going on at work? Well, today was a fun/overwhelming/amazing day. I have written only a little bit about my work because that's not what I want to do here. Today's post will give you a little more insight. I love my job. I went to school forever and I still wasn't quite sure what I was going to do when I was done until 1 year before I graduated.

All of my interests started to align and fall into place and I got the coolest internship! The next year I got my "real" job at a different place that may be even cooler than my internship was. The first 5 years I worked where I work I couldn't believe that they were paying me to do what I was doing because I felt like I was so lucky. I worked my little fingers to the bone though and am happy to say that my work during those 5 years has left a legacy.

Anyway... Today was great. Some new stuff might be happening. Well, new stuff always is where I work, but new stuff that will help me do some more amazing things with the project I love the most. In addition, it would be working with some new people that seem fabulous. One of them was this older man... He kind of reminded me of my father, but an intellectual version of my dad. My Dad is a great guy, and a smart guy, but he's not an "intellectual." Nothing against my Dad, that's just the facts...

The guy I spoke with for a long time today was very inspiring. He was hilarious... His nickname is "the Elephant." (Yes he's a big guy.) He also LOVES his family. He just raved about his wife. They've been married for 44 years. He loves his kids and grandkids. In addition to being a powerful thinker he's also a down-to-earth practical man. I really liked talking with him. If we get a project going with him it will be challenging, hard work, but lots of fun, and really meaningful. If we don't get the project going now/soon, there will be more opportunities in the future I'm guessing. I don't think today was "just another day at the office."

On another note, I don't know what happened with that whole .01 deal, but I'm guessing we were able to prevail over the contracts person.... henceforth known as "Miss I'm not inclined to lower the price..." (In her defense I think she thought they were asking for a reduction of a whole dollar rather than one penny... hmmmm, now that I think about it, that still isn't much of a defense....)

On yet another note, I was only in 4 meetings in 6 hours as opposed to yesterday when I was in 4 meetings in 3 hours.

No comments: