Sunday, April 02, 2006

N's lectures and complaints

Miss N (4) wanted to watch a video. I put the DVD into the player and the player said, "Check for scratches." I cringed. I told Natalie that the video might not play because it might be scratched (I wanted her prepared for the worst case scenario). I took out the DVD and found just ooey-gooey type of finger prints on it. Easy enough to clean.

As I explained to N what I thought the problem was and wiped it off, N started saying. "I wish K (22 months) listened better. She never listens. She runs off all the time. She needs to learn to listen better. She touched the DVD and slimed it. She should have asked before she touched the DVD. That's what good girls do, they ask first. I really wish she would ask me first."

Do I sound like that???

Last night, at dinner, Miss T (7 months) started her famous dolphin squeal. Miss K promptly joined in and then Miss N did. My ears couldn't take it. I said, "Little girls, please don't squeal like dolphins." No one stopped. I looked at N and said, "Please help me get them to stop. Please don't make that noise any more and please help me get them to stop. You're the big girl and I need your help."

This prompted N to take on the role of "the enforcer." Every time either K or T would start to make a dolphin squeal, N would very sternly say, "You're not a dolphin and we don't like dolphins in the house. Dolphins live in the sea. Do you live in the sea? No, you don't."

I was cracking up.

No comments: