Tuesday, March 07, 2006

2 babies 2 cribs

When we found out I was pregnant with T (6.5 months) I was overwhelmed. K would only be 15 months older than T. I would have two babies. Now that T is here and 6.5 months old, and K is almost 22 months old, I am learning what it's like to have 2 babies. In some ways, K is very grown up, she can put on her own shoes, she knows colors, she can count to 12, she says the alphabet mostly. In attitude, however, she is still a baby.

At night, I am so glad she is still in her crib. She will be the kind of child who will come in and ask to sleep with Mommy and Daddy. Right now, because K is contained in her crib, she sleeps there all night. I hear her wake up and roll over in the morning and if she was not in a crib, I know she would come padding in and ask to get in bed. While that is okay, we still have T in bed with us.

I said that T would sleep with us as long as she sleeps well and doesn't disturb us. I have marveled at how long she has managed to sleep in our bed and not disturb us. I have loved snuggling with her, but she's decided that 5 am is a lovely time to practice crawling. Nope, no-way from my perspective.

Today, my husband and I went to Ikea and bought a second crib because we're not ready for K to be in a bed yet. T will most likely go to sleep with us at night, but when she wakes at 5 am, after making sure she doesn't have any needs, (e.g., poopy diaper, hungry) she will go into the crib. We don't get up at 5 am. She usually falls back asleep by 6 am, but I am losing an hour of sleep a night and I'm starting to become a catatonic zombie. I'm tired. I applaud Moms who can get up at night and still somewhat function, but I can't.

Anyway, two babies need two cribs. We bought the cheapest one at Ikea and most likely in 6 months, K will graduate to a bed and T will graduate to the more expensive and more sturdy crib.

No comments: