Saturday, February 04, 2006

The Spectrum

K (21 months) is my emotional baby with very high highs and very low lows. N (4) was always more even tempered. Oh, she had her moments with lows but not as low as K's. N exhausts me because she has so much energy, but K is different. She just really really has her moments.

Last night she had another moment. I knew it was coming. She was really tired. I was trying to get her in her jammies and she was not cooperating. I had gotten her face washed and a new diaper on her and was working on the jammies. She would scream when I tried to put them on and I was trying to prevent the throwing up from happening. I had been trying to get her ready for bed for about 20 minutes. She was just wearing her diaper and suddenly she said, "Potty... Sit..."

Dilemma for me. If I say no, I'm not encouraging the potty. If I say yes, she won't have any diaper on and we'll be back to square one in the getting ready for bed process. I give in and she sits on the potty. Big mistake. I knew when I said yes that it was a mistake.

Now she's naked as a jaybird and screaming 'cause all she wants to do is throw toilet paper in the potty. She never had to go. I should have just re-directed her attention. I shouldn’t have said yes. I’m a sucker.

I'm trying to get her diaper back on her and the screaming begins in earnest. Okay... I could go on about what happened, but I'll spare you the play-by-play and just end with, yes, she threw up. My ultimate mistake was seeing if she would calm down in her crib. At least it was contained just on the sheet and the waterproof sheet and not on the carpet.

About an hour after she threw up we finally get her to bed.

She's so sweet sometimes. Sweeter than sugar. Sweeter than saccharine. Just a love.

We also have the cuteness factor. She’s so cute. Her new word the last couple of weeks has been “heavy.” She’ll pick up something and say, “Heavy.” She makes it look like whatever she is picking up is heavy.

At least we have the whole spectrum and not just the bad. She is very cute.

No comments: