Saturday, December 18, 2010

Whoooooosh....*

Another week went by and I managed to survive. Earlier this week, I remembered that this summer, I had thought I wasn't going to be very busy in December. I about drove off the road from laughing so hard from that memory. I am still chuckling when I think that I thought I wouldn't be busy... Oh, how I NEVER learn!

I got nearly everything done that I set out to do this week. That included reviewing data and writing up a section of report, brainstorming with a colleague and then reviewing her section of the report, going to [urban center school that is 45 minutes away] two times, flying down for my doctor appointment, and putting together a powerpoint. The powerpoint ended up being REALLY BAD, but it's okay, I can revise it 'cause it's not really due until January 3rd. (And even then, it's not REALLY due until 1/8, but I want it DONE 1/3.)

The week ended on a great note, though. MWH and I went with our friends and saw Harry Potter and then ate Indian Food! We've gone with these friends to all the HP movies. It's a tradition. Indian Food is often part of the HP tradition, too. I <3 our friends!

Today, the whole family went out and went Christmas shopping. It wasn't bad, we only had to get two gifts, really. For MWH's family, we draw names and only buy for one adult. We still have to get some gift certificates for nieces and nephews on both sides of the family, but, again, that shouldn't be too bad. I'm really not in the holiday spirit because of work... It's just ANOTHER thing I have to do. On Christmas day, my niece will come visit, and then a couple of days later my Mom will come and I am excited about that--except for all the cleaning I have to do to get ready for their visits.

Tonight, I finally got around to playing with the vegan Peanut Butter Cookie recipe I found. I wanted to take out some of the carbs as I seem to be carb-sensitive. but I still like cookies at times. (Health update--My blood sugar is doing okay but I like it to be in the perfect range. It's closer to the perfect range, but still not quite there.) Anyway, I'll record my recipe changes here in case any one else is looking for lower carb cookies...

1/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 Cup Peanut Flour
3/4 Cup Ground Flax Seed
1/4 Cup Quick Oat Bran
3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
1/2 mashed up Banana
1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
1/4 Cup Creamy Style Organic peanut Butter

With these changes, I calculate about 6 grams of net carbohydrates per cookie. They are still yummy! I will keep making them and eating them. I haven't calculated calories, yet. Note, there's a good dose of fat in each cookie, but it's all vegetable fat, and lots of Omega -3s in the flax; my body seems to like fat a lot better than carbs. Next time, I might take out all the wheat flour and just use peanut flour. We'll see.

(Oh, just mix everything up and bake for about 8-12 minutes... Make the cookies like you would regular PB cookies... ball them up and then pat them down. They are VERY sticky during this phase, so don't expect criss-cross patterns to show on top!)

And a variation, stick some chocolate chips in the batter if you like. I prefer my cookies to be pure PB cookies, but MWH gives the cookies with chocolate chips two thumbs up!

* In 2006, I wrote a blog post with about the same title... I still love the quote... Go read for old times sake!

No comments: