Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Post Holiday

It's been BUSY around here! My niece came on Christmas day and we had a fun visit. She didn't drive me crazy and she seems like she is growing up a teeny bit. I wrote about her a while back and described how egocentric she was (3 years ago), but I didn't label her as "niece" back then because it was a fairly complain-y post. She's now 30; though she has a long way to go, I believe she is trying to grow up and figure out what she wants to do with her life.

I could write a whole blog post about her, but I'm not going to, I'll save that for another day.

Let's see.....Thanks for the comments about Santa. It was good to hear from Ruth and Alice again! That was a wonderful Christmas surprise! I don't get many comments any more--perhaps because I don't blog much any more, it seems. Anyway, I was wondering if you were still out there Alice. Ruth emails and keeps me updated, but I hadn't heard from you and I missed you, Alice!

Anyway, the girls have asked a couple times why Santa doesn't bring big presents, but both times have been in the middle of something else and I haven't gotten to discuss it with them. I wish they didn't believe, or want to believe, so fervently. Maybe it's my fault, it's always the Mom's fault, maybe I don't make things in life magical enough for them so they are clinging to this belief fiercely.

Eh, whatevs.... I'm sure I've totally screwed them up and that's what they'll tell their therapist some day.

I think I'm in an odd mood tonight. My Mom just arrived for her visit. She'll be here until 1/10/11. I am going to try to enjoy the visit and not get overwhelmed. I think it will be okay. I'll have to discuss the ways she screwed me up if I have time--heh.

Back to the story of the BIG day.... The girls were bummed that MWH and I didn't want Christmas to start before 9:00 am. I finally said we would get up and get them at 8:45. I set the alarm for 8:30 and went downstairs before 9. Two of the Three were still asleep. REALLY?????? Wowza! I was happy that I had lazy children, but I wished I hadn't set the alarm clock. Next year, I'm not setting the alarm before 9 am! (Note for posterity, oNe was the only one awake.)

The tree was overflowing with gifts. I ended up caving and buying twoK one more present on Christmas Eve... You see, she told us she thought she was going to get a new American Girl Doll. She wasn't and didn't. I told her, when she told us she thought she was getting one, that I knew she wasn't because I knew Santa wanted her to pick out her next doll to make sure she got the one she wanted. (There I go, propagating the SANTA-LIE.) twoK was okay with that, and learning that she wasn't going to get an American Girl Doll, but I could tell she'd be disappointed if she didn't get more than just American Girl Doll clothes. (That's mostly what she got from us and her relatives.)

I made a Target run on Christmas Eve, and surprisingly, the store wasn't crowded. I got twoK a trundle bed for her American Girl Dolls. I guess, I should state for the record that she has one American Girl Doll and one "knock-off." The American Girl Doll was given to her by a friend who'd had it in the late 90s and decided she wanted to pass it on to a little girl who'd play with it. It was very sweet of her. (Note to self, I need to do something as a thank you for that friend.)

So twoK was thrilled with the trundle bed; oNe and Three-a were thrilled with their toys (described in the previous post), and MWH and I are excited about the trip that we're going to take in February. He got the family a lovely week in Hawaii!

The big surprise...MWH spoiled me with a new MacBook Air... (does this post seem like it's "faster?" It's being typed on the new computer and it's DEFINITELY faster than my old computer!)

I love my new computer, but I feel guilty because we don't usually do presents for each other...but MWH is a wonderful guy. I am lucky.

What else? I made eggplant and pasta sauce, Peanut Butter Soup and we ate a lot.

The rest of the week was busy with hikes, playing with toys, cooking other good stuff, reading books, looking at stuff under the microscope, watching new videos, and getting a pedicure with my niece. I've gotten some of my Christmas Cards done, but not all... Must finish and mail tomorrow!

Now, I must go snuggle with little girls. They just came up and asked me to come to their room.

No comments: