Wednesday, December 22, 2010

On your mark, set...

break...

(written Wednesday)
I am sort of on break. It always takes a while for the transition to occur, but I'm not going back in to the office until 1/3. I will do a little work, but not tons. This morning, I slept in, and I feel a little groggy. I'm out of my favorite tea for morning time and it's taking its toll. I didn't accomplish as much as I wanted to today, but it's okay.

I did a workout and a little bit of work and a little bit of Christmas shopping... I got frame ornaments for the girls and some for my Mom and MWH's Mom for their trees.

Here's something you don't hear very often, but I wish my 8, almost 9-year-old child didn't believe so FERVENTLY in Santa Claus. Seriously. She asks me all these questions about Santa that are difficult to answer, and I make up answers and I feel bad about it because I'm so LYING to her. She BELIEVES though. It could be that she's trying I'm sort of bah humbuggy, as you know, so it's hard for me.

(written Thursday)
I just couldn't do the post justice yesterday. I was very tired. Today, I didn't go into work and I was less groggy. Slept until nearly 9, but managed to get a lot done today.

In the done column:
Massive cleaning frenzy, zumba class, booked BIG Holiday surprise for the family, planned oNe's 9th birthday party (actually planned it a while ago, but sent the evites today).

In the To Do column: Holiday Cards, Gift wrapping, and lots more cleaning (with 3 kids, cleaning is NEVER DONE for long!)

I'm fading quickly now, but I thought I'd share some examples of the things oNe's been discussing with me...

One: So on Christmas night, can Santa pick up the toys we want to donate so he can clean them up and give them to other kids?

Me: No, he can't.

One: Why not? [friend] says he can.

Me: Well.... When I spoke to him, he said his policies had changed and he doesn't like to do that. If you call early enough to reserve space, he will try, but he can't promise.

One: Oh.





One: So if we can't see [friends] before Christmas, can Santa pick up the toys we have for them and take them over to them?

Me: No, Santa doesn't do that.

One: Why not? He delivers toys.

Me: He delivers the toys he brings you, but not toys other people give you.

One: He doesn't bring us BIG toys.

Me: He tends to bring bigger toys to kids when their parents can't give them a present.

One: Oh.




Our kids get their bigger presents from us and fun, and they get stocking stuffers and things like DVDs from Santa. That's how it was done in MWH's family (minus the DVDs because they didn't have those back then). In my family, Santa always brought one big toy for me and stocking stuffers and then I got clothes and stuff from my parents.

I don't really like continuing to propagate the lie of Santa Claus. I like the sentiment of Santa, but oNe really wants to believe in the magical creature. I am not bursting her bubble by telling her the TRUTH (you can't handle truth, oNe!), but I wish she'd get a little suspicious and stop believing. I guess, it's possible that her tough questions means she is questioning him and his existence, but she doesn't seem to want to hear anything other than that Santa is magical and can do anything. I don't give her that answer. I discuss his policies.

Note: When I was in 3rd grade, I KNEW all the hiding places my parents had. I always KNEW what I was getting for Christmas. Yes, I was bad. Santa came anyway.


P.S. I don't like Christmas because it feels like everyone tries to cram in being nice to a short space in time. I think that Santa and the spirit of giving should be year-round. Maybe it's easier to just do it for one day, but that's not what I want to do.

2 comments:

RUTH said...

In our house Father Christmas does the stockings and the rest of the presents are from real people including the girls to each other. Last year the girls kind of went with the pretense although they made it clear they weren't convinced. This year the pretense has gone. I went upstairs to Heather and Kay's room this morning and Heather said "Thank you mummy. You're the best mummy and you got us the best things ever in our stockings." Which was sweet but caught me by surprise.

Alice said...

I never believed in Santa. Not even when I was very young. I remember in primary when the teachers were talking about Santa, I thought it was weird that they were allowed to talk about made-up stuff as if it were true.

Ever since I could remember my sister and I had a book on our bookshelf about the history Santa Claus/St. Nicholas, and about Christmas traditions around the world. I grew up knowing of Santa as a concept - never under the impression that he was an actual person.

Also though, my mother is a minister. So we were never under the impression that Santa was the reason for Christmas. Christmas was to celebrate Baby Jesus, and we talked a lot more about him than about Santa.

I don't know what I'll do when I have children...

Merry Christmas to your family!