Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Adapting and tricks

Life without n3nny is different. Better in some ways, and busier in all ways. Here are some of the changes in the way things work around here for us.

1. I must run all errands and do grocery store trips with children along. The exception is if it's MWH or me doing a grocery store or Target run on the way home from work when the other one of us is at home with the girls. We used to do big trip during the weekend and N3nny would do one grocery store trip a week, and sometimes Target when needed. MWH used to do a trip to another grocery store after work... Not that much has changed with the shopping, but one more trip to the grocery store a week, with the girls, is SIGNIFICANT.

2. Dinner with friends can happen once a month if the girls can come and watch a video while I chat with my friends. I didn't go out to dinner very often when N3nny had the girls, and I've only gone out with the girls to meet friends one time. It worked well. The girls had a table right across from the grown up and the girls had the iPhone. The girls were happy to watch videos on the iPhone and my friends and I had a lovely dinner.

3. The girls have to put away their laundry. They can do it, and I can help and make it go quickly. N3nny used to do it with the girls, but I think I'm just as fast as she was.

4. I have to say no to more things at work. I need to say no to all things I don't love. I need to not stress about not working ALL THE TIME. I love my work, and I feel it makes me a better parent and person to work, but I need to make sure I have time to be a parent. If I end up needing to reduce my hours, I must do that and not stress about not working 1/2 time. There are always trade-offs in life; I can't be with the girls a lot and work a lot, too. I haven't cloned myself yet.

5. Having someone help clean our house is super... We were almost overrun by dust bunnies. Yay for R_____'s housecleaning!

6. I must remember I can only check blogs/facebook when the girls are in class (and I'm waiting for them) or when I am riding the exercise bike or late at night when I'm brain dead.


Sent from my iPad

No comments: