Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A good night's sleep

I went to bed pretty early ~10:45-11 pm, and slept most of the night... I woke up at 4:30 and didn't get back to a deep sleep right away, but I probably was asleep again by 5:30. I got up around 8 am... (Boy, I am BORING! I'm blogging about my sleep. Wait, it gets better, I promise!)

Anyway, today was kindergarten orientation/assessment for placement with twoK today. Super fun. I realized, she's little girl #2, and things like kindergarten orientation are just FUN with her. She doesn't have any of the anxiety oNe did about things. oNe was the first born, and it's scary to go do new things because you're the first one to go to them. Now, twoK knows that oNe survived (and even liked) the things so it's fun for twoK and therefore fun for me!

Also, it's fun because she's #2 but she's not the LAST little girl. Today wasn't our last kindergarten orientation. Next year, when Three-a goes, I'll have to be a little wistful. I will be happy that everyone will be in school, but I will also have to be a little sad that my baby is growing up. (They grow so fast!)

On another note, Three-a seems okay today. It seems the throwing up was from exhaustion. I'm still on "germ watch" until after tomorrow to make sure no one else is sick though.

And finally, my doctor's appointment... It went as well as I could have expected. My ligaments are fine. The doctor says you can't rule out a meniscus tear with an examination, that you need an MRI, but from all I have told her, it doesn't sound like one. I don't have the symptoms of one. She diagnosed me with "Runner's Knees," due to not "cross training" well enough. I mostly need to strengthen the vastus intermedius part of my quad. I will go to physical therapy (PT) to do this for at least 3 weeks. I am excited to learn how to strengthen my legs in a way that will help me.

The other cool thing about PT is that it's located in the gym where I take Zumba! Woo! Very convenient. The hours they have at that gym aren't very extensive, but 4 of my 6 appointments are scheduled for that gym. Two are scheduled at another office about a mile away.

The doctor thought I could probably get back to the level of Zumba that I want to do.... She mentioned that jumping and deep knee bends are really hard on the knees. I knew that. I'm good with giving up the deep knee bends, but I want to keep jumping.... It's my hope that I can do jump again in a couple of months. The doctor explained that as we leave our 30s, we have to do more strengthening to be able to do the workouts we like. She said, I didn't need to cross train in my 20s and 30s, but I do now. How sad, but it's okay... I want to maintain fitness, so doing new things to make me fit isn't so bad. Variety is the spice of life, right? (But, UGH, the aging thing sucks!!!!)

I am so thankful with my diagnosis. I'm supposed to take about 4 weeks off of Zumba.... Ummmmm...... I plan to take 1-2 weeks off and then go back and do it really, really lightly. I can just walk through the steps... NO JUMPING! I promise!!! I really can do it lightly. It's just such a fun dance class.

The good thing, also, is the doctor (let's call her Dr. Sports) wants me to start riding an exercise bike a lot to help strengthen my vastus intermedius....(part of my quad). I think we'll get an exercise bike for the house. They are pretty inexpensive and I think I'd rather do my 15 minutes to 1/2 hour on the bike here at home. I think having the bike here at home, in front of the tv, will increase the chances that I'll do it nearly every day. I'll go back to see Dr. Sports in 4-6 weeks to make sure all is going well with my knees.


Whew! I feel much better today.... Yesterday was an exhausting, worrisome day, and today was a relief! Hope every one is having a great day!

No comments: