Tuesday, August 14, 2007

'ed

K (3) is firmly in the "adding ed" to the end of every past tense verb. It's a very regular rule for her.... She watcheded, runded, jumpded, telded (told), etc. According to Kuczaj (1978), it's not until age 7 that kids really know the correct past tense form.

I'm recording this because if I don't record it here, I'll forget when it happened.

N (5.5) never went through this particular phase. Her biggest error, and it was cute, was saying "befrom" instead of "because." Example: I want some ice cream befrom I like it. (I need to look up in my other journal when this ended.)

I just remembered another N error... For the LONGEST time she couldn't say, Please may I have some XXXX? She'd say Please may-I-can-I have some XXXX? may-I-can-I was one word. It was hilarious!



References
Kuczaj, S.A., (1978). Why do children fail to overregularize the progressive inflection? Journal of Child Language, 5, 167-171.

No comments: