Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Stormy weather and Settling in...

Last night, in a very windy storm, we lost power, probably around 4 am. N (almost 5) woke us up and demanded for us to fix the problem. She wasn't very rational and kept crying. Finally, I crawled into K's bed and slept in their room. We didn't have power all day. It was finally restored around 7:30 or so tonight. I'm sure I got more unpacking done since I didn't have Internet access. (Heh!) We were supposed to have some friends over for dinner, but we had to cancel due to lack of power. We rescheduled for Friday.

We took the girls out to dinner (since we couldn't cook) and dinner was actually a nice experience. I think everyone was hungry because they sat quietly (or as quiet as they ever get) and ate. MWH and I actually were able to eat too. After dinner we drove around a little looking at Christmas lights, but N (almost 5) and K (2.5) weren't really into it. T (16 months) was. She was oooooh-ing and ahhhh-ing and saying, "What's that?" She loved them.

We went to Tar*get and got N a handcrank flashlight so that if the power goes out in the middle of the night, she has her own solution. We empowered her. (MWH made the pun originally... Heh!)

******************

House update... We have one shower working (the girls'), one almost working (our shower in the master bath), and one that is causing great us consternation (guest bathroom). The two showers that are working (or almost) are the ones that had their innards mixed up. The contractor didn't have to go in from the outside of the house to fix our shower. He was able to remove some tile and fix things (yay!). For the girls' shower, the contractor had to go through the wall, but it was an interior wall. The wall is already back together and tomorrow it will be painted.

The shower causing all the problems is the one we didn't touch. We're hoping our contractor can find the part he needs to fix one of the problems... I'm not sure what we'll do if he doesn't... (I wasn't in on all the conversations about it today, I did hear something about tearing off all the tile to replace things... I guess we'll figure it out later.)

It's fun unpacking here! (Well, as fun as unpacking can be.) What is so nice is that this is "the" house. We hope/plan to be here for 15-20 years.

[TANGENT] Since when I went to college, I have moved at least 12 times and maybe more like 15 times... Yikes, that's a lot... MWH has only moved about 4 times in the same time that I moved so many. I was in school (college and then grad school) for so long and I moved every year... and then when I got my first job I moved 4 times in two years. When I moved in with MWH, life settled a bit. We lived in his house from 1997 - 2000 and then our first house from 2000-2005. We lived in our "interim" house for 1 year, and now here. Our new house for 15-20 years at least. [END TANGENT]

No comments: