Thursday, December 28, 2006

More settlin'

What helps make a new house more homey?

A trip to Ikea!

(Boy, I'm tired... I keep reading homey and thinking it says horny 'cause my eyes are sort of going in and out of focus. I am seriously tired!)

Today a friend (DK) and her 2.5 year old, and me and my 2.5 year old headed to Ikea. I purchased a little rug for the kitchen (and I LOVE the color) and a big rug as a temporary rug for the living room and the color, well, it's neutral. I bought it 'cause it was inexpensive, wool, and I wanted to see if it was a good size. We can use it either downstairs or in our bedroom (under the bed with a little sticking out on the sides for our feet to hit first thing in the morning) when we get the "real" rug for the living room.

The two 2.5 year olds had a blast at Ikea. They slid, climbed, and ran through the store. I tried to contain them in the cart as much as I could. My 2.5 year old is very high energy. My friend's 2.5 year old is much calmer. We spent 3.5 hours in the store and before we got home both little girls were passed out in their carseats in the back of my car.

I'm so glad it worked out for DK and her daughter and us to go. DK is a great shopper. It was also nice because I haven't had a day with just K for a while. The funniest thing was after my friend and her little girl left, K was bored because her sisters weren't home yet. She really likes having people around. She is used to having little ones to play with.

What else.... I made a little progress unpacking in the kitchen tonight... and in the play room... The girls' bedroom is almost organized... We have to finish cleaning out our old house... I downloaded my camera... Because Nino asked, I'll share a picture of the new house (taken before we moved in).


This shows windows and french doors in the living room (soon the windows will have white shutters on them), and part of the dining room wall (remember, I told you how much I loved the burgandy?). Over the dining room is a loft area. The living room has high ceilings, but you can't tell from the picture... The french doors lead out to a deck that runs on the back of the house. The floor is perhaps my favorite part... I love the floor. I love cleaning the floor... I love to walk on it and look at it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It Looks FABULOUS! I can't wait to see it in person...someday!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Yep, I'm jealous! IKEA came to our town this past summer, so my SIL and I took the girls there to check it out. I think they tried out every single bed! It was actually very cute seeing them get all snuggled up in each bed. I do need to go back there without them, though. Hard to make decisions with two girls on the loose!

RUTH said...

Love the floors and the burgundy. Hope moving in is still going well. And sleeping.