Tuesday, December 26, 2006

12/25/06--a recap and recipe

Yesterday was Christmas.

The girls got soooo much stuff. They had fun ripping their presents open. I couldn't believe how much stuff all the families sent. I think we should suggest an alternative to toys. I just read about the idea of people could giving memberships to things, e.g., Children's Museum, local parks, etc., instead of toys and I LOVE that idea. I think that's what we should ask for from now on!

Since we just moved, I am painfully aware of just how much stuff we have. WE HAVE WAY TOO MUCH.

In addition to feeling like our new house will burst at the seams from how many toys we have, another thing that depressed me was that after we opened all the presents, the girls asked for more presents. Upon reflecting, I think they wanted more presents because they liked the act of opening presents, and not that they wanted "more stuff." (At least that's what I hope.)

It was especially hard yesterday because we just moved. I'm not complaining because I wanted to move--and I'm delighted to be in our new house--it's just a fact that I don't know where anything is. I figured out a simple dinner to make for MWH and me as our Christmas dinner. However, it still took a LONG time to make it though because I didn't know where the cornstarch, my measuring cups, the spices I needed, or anything was... It would take 10-20 minutes looking for each item. I'm glad I went with a simple dinner*.

The girls were delighted to snack on cheese, crackers, bread and butter, fruit, peas/corn, homemade smoothies (yogurt, strawberries, banana and soymilk), and more bread and butter all day long. Since I didn't know where anything was, and since we discovered that the oven wasn't yet working, I didn't push them to eat other food items. The 3 little girls ate 3/4s of a loaf of bread yesterday. They do like bread!

It was also hard yesterday because my coffee place was closed. I went an entire day with only tea. Tea, while lovely and good, is not nearly as powerful as coffee. I was dragging by the end of the day.



Our favorite presents:

MWH's Mom made the girls some clothes and I love that. K (2.5) was delighted by the new clothes she got.

An Aqua Doodle (I bought it at the last minute because my friend DK suggested T and K might like it. They do and I do too! DK was right!)

Santa gave N a battery operated James train and she loves it! When she was 2-4 she loved all things Thomas (and especially James) Right about the time she turned 4 she decided she liked other things and now she's getting back into trains. I'm delighted because we have SOOOO many!




*Our Christmas Dinner
Spicy Peanut Sauce over Broccoli and Brown Rice

2 - 3 teaspoons of cornstarch (depending how thick you want the thickner)
2/3 cup of water
--------------

1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/3 cup peanut butter (homogenized or natural--just peanuts no other stuff)
2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon dark sesame oil
garlic cloves (I've made it with from 1 clove to 3 depending on my mood. Original recipe says 4.)
2 teaspoons sugar (I usually use less)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)

1. Combine the cornstarch and water in a saucepan and stir until the cornstarch is completely dissolved. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and stir constantly till thickened. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool to room temperature.

2. Combine all the other ingredients in a blender and puree. Add the cooled cornstarch mixture and either blend in the blender or stir well with a whisk.



The sauce is so yummy. You can pour it over so many things. I like it with Asian noodles or brown rice (and broccoli!).

No comments: