Saturday, October 08, 2005

Adjusting expectations... Remembering that she's still a wee one... Hoping that I'm doing ok at the mothering gig.

I don't expect any sort of rational behavior from K or T (16 month and 7 weeks respectively), but I do expect some from N (3.5 years). Perhaps this is the problem, I shouldn't. Perhaps I need to change my expectations to fit the situation better.

Case in point. This morning, Daddy ate the last of the cereal she wanted to eat before she announced that that was the cereal she wanted. "Why did you eat it all Daddy?" "I just want that cereal." "Get some more." These were her cries. I worry that she's too much of a princess. I worry that since she was first born we met her every need too quickly and that now she's spoiled. I've switched from babying her to expecting rational behavior. I switched very suddenly to that stance when K was born. Now with 3, it's even harder on her I'm sure. I have even less time and patience for her antics.

Of course, I also have to remember that she's still adjusting to being a big sister to two now instead of just one. I have to remember that her outbursts are most likely because she needs attention... I have to remember that she'd prefer positive interactions, but that if I don't give her those she'll take negative interactions because it's better than nothing. I have to also remember that even though the nanny is loving and sweet to her, she's not Mom.

I just have fears that she'll be the spoiled princess that no one wants to have over to their house because she's so difficult because I, as her mother, failed.

No comments: