Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Million dollar question

Here's a fun question....

You learn you’ll be fired from your current job. The upside is that your severance is going to be fantastic: $1 million a year for the next 20 years! The catch is that you’re going to have to sign a very broad non-compete agreement. You can’t do the “stuff” of your job, on your own or for any other employer, during those 20 years. Would you take the deal to get the severance package?

Okay, first, I would totally take it, but I do have a couple of questions.

I am a researcher in E_______ ___________. Does this "broad non-compete" mean I can't be a researcher in any field? Can I go back to school and learn about nutrition and then do research in this area?

Or instead of being a researcher in E_________ _____________, can I switch to just teaching at OLU. I teach L_______ T_____ at OLU, not E_______ ___________. Okay, if I can't do that, I'll still take the severance package and I'll start teaching Zumba. How's that? That really shouldn't be covered in the non-compete.

Perhaps a better question would be, to get $1M a year for 20 years, would you stay home and clean your house every day? I'm not sure I could say yes to that.


(Note, I found Laura Vanderkam from my wonderful friend's site. Thanks, KJ!)

2 comments:

RUTH said...

My current job is 'parent' and I wouldn't give it up for $1 billion a year for the next 20 years :-)

Anonymous said...

I really like my current job, but I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. I'd easily give up practicing law for $1 million/year for 20 years.

If my job was "parent" as Ruth's is above, then no way, no how would I take the deal.

Amelia