Sunday, July 04, 2010

almost Christmas

My Father used to say, "It's the fourth of July, and then it's Christmas." Yea, I've probably told you that before, but I think of Dad saying that (often). It's amazing how quickly time goes and I think his saying captures time speeding by nicely.

We took the girls to the beach yesterday and they became sand monsters. Today, was a low-key day. We watched Sound of Music this morning. It's not particularly a movie you think of as a 4th of July kind of movie, but twoK wanted to watch it. She loved it all. We watched it in a couple of parts--about half before breakfast and half after. I had little girls sitting and snuggling with me the whole movie... lovely!

MWH ran into work for a little while. After MWH came home, we finally got ourselves out of the house around 3:30 and went to a park. It was the "teeter totter park."* It's such a lovely park; I thought it would be totally crowded for the holiday, but it wasn't crowded at all. It's got huge trees so it's always nice and shady. Our thermometer said 87 at our house, but it didn't feel that warm in the shade at the park. I was even a bit cool. (Now, 7:30-ish, it's a lovely 75 or so.)

After we got home from the park, we had dinner. Now we're heading for another park to go watch fireworks. It doesn't feel like the 4th, yet. It's been such a quiet day. When I was a kid, we'd have HUGE parties. We'll be hanging with our friends tomorrow and then it'll probably feel more like the fourth. Watching fireworks ought to help make it seem like the fourth too.

Happy Fourth to everyone!


*I played on the teeter totter with the girls. I haven't done this for a while (year or two). I was excited because I could do the teeter totter without my back hurting! Go Pilates!

No comments: