Thursday, May 28, 2009

Navel gazing (or Ab gazing)

I hit a 15-year low on the weight today.... We had no AC in Zumba class today. It was hot. I was drenched in sweat. Seriously... (Ewww!)

I know the number I saw on the scale wasn't my true weight, it was about 2-3 pounds lower than the real number, but it was fun to see it. The numbers continue to SLOWLY go down. I am good with slow. Slow is working for me. It has taken a long time, but it feels right. Instant diets don't work for me. I feel AWFUL when I'm hungry. I get all low blood sugary and shakey.

In addition, I am going slow because I wanted to keep muscle....I've been working really hard to maintain muscle and just lose fat. Fat tends to jiggle... Muscle is solid and cool. As I age, I want to have as much muscle as I can on my body. I think it will help make the aging process a bit more graceful (that's just my own little pet theory). (Hey, did I tell you I have some abs you can SEE? Not a six-pack, but really cool. You can only see them when I move, they don't just "pop" out, but I like 'em!)

I don't know what my "goal" weight is now. I figure, at some point my body will stop losing weight and settle in to a good place. I figure if I start doing more weight training, I might even gain a pound or two. I am about 10 pounds lower than the original goal weight. Last summer, I wrote, "if I never lose another pound, I'm good with that." I could write that again, but I am guessing I will lose a few more pounds. I would like to lose another inch (or so) around my waist.

I wonder what happens when I reach all my fitness goals. Heh. I'm sure I set new ones. Note to self: I still need to do yoga and lift weights more often. This post totally feels like self-indulgent rambling to me, but I work really hard to stay in shape. I love it, and I think it's important. I think it helps me maintain balance in my crazy life, it helps with my mental health, and I think it helps with my physical life. I think we should feel exercise is important and maybe this post will help make exercise become more important to someone. (Is this rationalization for the self-indulgence?)

1 comment:

Zaz said...

It's weird, I am pretty much only interested in exercise if it's super fun (like sports or a class or whatever). Working out for it's own sake has NO APPEAL for me whatsoever. I don't get a "runner's high" or feel energized, etc., so the only motivator left is that I should go because it's good for me. Sigh. (Or, find something fun to do. That won't hurt me.)