Saturday, October 18, 2008

More on friends

But this time, it's about me.

I have some fabulous friends. They know who they are! My closest ones read this blog. In my class this fall, there's a woman who is a LOT like me. Last semester, I made a friend of one of my students. We hang and get coffee and talk on IM quite a bit. I really like her. It's fun when a student can become a friend. I felt a little odd since she was an undergraduate, but she's close to my age... (Less than 10 years... I'm not sure exactly, but I think she's 8.5 years younger than me. She's 30-something.)

Anyway, the student this semester is about 9 years older than me, but I really like how she's thinking and what she's doing. She has a daughter who is a year older than oNe. I imagine she will be my friend after the class. At the very least, I want to go down and visit her at her University (she's in another city) and see how she's using the technology she uses in her classes. Maybe it would be a trip with the family and oNe and her daughter could meet and play. I think her daughter and oNe would have fun.

There's two other women at oNe's school. Most mornings we chat. I like them both a lot. I haven't made very many friends with other Moms besides the group I joined right after oNe was born. I think both of them will probably become friends.... One of them lives VERY close to me and I should probably call her up and set up a play date. She has 3 boys and we have 3 girls... The other woman has 4 boys.




Of course, when I think about friends, I think about my friend who died. She died about a year ago... Actually on the 30th of this month. I have heard that it usually gets a little easier after the first year is over. I know it's a little easier than it was last November. Last November was awful. I was pretty much a zombie. I still miss her a great deal. It still feels like it can't possibly be real that she's gone. I keep thinking she's gone on a trip or something. I can't bring myself to delete her phone number from my cell phone.

I've tried to keep in touch with her husband, but he doesn't seem to want anything from me. I'm not that surprised. I was her friend. I liked him and he liked me, but we weren't the friends. Does that make sense? I think I'll go email him right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It took me a long time to delete my Abuela's phone number from my phone. In fact, I didn't. The first couple of new phones I got after her death, I went ahead and programmed her number in. I go through phones a lot. They get dropped by me and dunked in the dog bowl by little girls. heh

Miss you, luv!