Tuesday, August 19, 2008

slowly

Slowly, we're getting things done for my Dad. I feel very helpless not being there. Dad is not the most compliant patient. Heck, Dad might even be the most stubborn patient ever (TM). Sigh. (I know where K (4) gets her stubborn streak!) The rehab place is ordering an echocardiogram at the good hospital and that should happen in the next couple of days. They are putting him on a couple of diuretics, a beta blocker and an ace inhibitor. I'm reading all about them. My only experience with heart issues were with my cat, Beloved Kitty. At the end, he was on lasix. But his body was very weak. I know congestive heart failure can be managed for a while in humans, but I sure hope my Dad doesn't have it. It's not a good end.

My Dad was such a strong guy when I was a kid. It's really, really hard to see him weak. Aging sucks. The best thing seems to be keeping active and fit your whole life. I've got a growing stack of books, articles and web sites to read. As soon as my class is over, I do intend to tackle the topic.

2 comments:

PS said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for good news on your dad. Yep, we should all become personal trainers for a living. Working and walking every day as a farmer until he was 80 was probably what made my dad as healthy as he is. Desk jobs are not healthy!

Anonymous said...

I feel like a broken record saying this but you know I'm sending lots of get well & stronger wishes for your Dad. And peaceful thoughts to you! xxoo