Wednesday, July 16, 2008

more than a year

More than a year ago, I added peas to K's (4) fruit shakes. Miss K, also known as the little girl who won't touch vegetables, started drinking them! She's been drinking peas for a year now. (She doesn't know.)

Recently, I finally decided to try mixing up spinach in a fruit shake. I'd read that you couldn't taste it.

I didn't believe it.

I finally got brave and I tried it. Lo and behold, you really can't taste it! I was shocked. When you mix in peas, you can taste them a little, but K never complained so I kept going (or she did once, but then got used to it). Now, with spinach, our fruit shakes taste just like fruit shakes and not very healthy fruit shakes. Go figure!

I was really scared of mixing in the spinach. I was scared it would taste funny and I was scared it would be visible in the shake. It doesn't add any taste and it doesn't show up at all. The blending makes it invisible (if mixed with blueberries, and/or cherries, and/or strawberries).

If you have a kid who is a picky eater, but will drink blended fruit shakes, I HIGHLY recommend mixing in spinach. I add about 1/2 a bag of fresh spinach to the shake (yogurt, soymilk, strawberries, blueberries, peaches, banana) and BLEND. (Sometimes I add apple juice... I prefer soymilk, but if I don't have that I will use apple juice. I use frozen fruit so I don't have to add ice. I mix it in the morning and we drink it within 24 hours.)

I will continue to mix fruit shakes with (frozen) peas sometimes, (fresh) spinach other times, and even (frozen) broccoli sometimes. (Did I tell you about trying broccoli? It adds a bit of flavor, but quite a bit of, um, texture. You have to blend a LONG time.) Yay! K eats drinks vegetables. Woo!

No comments: