Sunday, June 01, 2008

Mmmmm....

I've figured out how to make delicious fruit crisps without the hassle of cutting up lots of fruit. The secret is to use frozen! Here's the latest recipe.

Frozen peaches (you decide the pan size and the amount of peaches to use). For this recipe, I've been using about a bag and 1/2 of frozen peaches or ~24 ounces. I used a pan about 8 x 12 inches.

Let the frozen peaches thaw a bit. You can microwave them a couple of minutes to speed things up or just let them sit on the counter. Pour a little oil in the pan you'll use to cook the crisp and spread it on the fruit and the bottom of the pan. (I think I used a tablespoon or so. I don't know. I didn't measure. Just enough to lightly glaze the fruit and the pan.)

I mixed it all up well. The first time I made this recipe, I also put about 1/3 to 1/2 a cup of brown sugar and mixed it up on the fruit with the oil. I thought it was a little too sweet, but MWH liked it a lot. Tonight I only used about 1/4 cup of sugar and he encouraged me to use more again. (My sweetie has a sweet tooth!)

The topping

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup water

Mix it up and spread it over the fruit. (Make sure you have small-ish pieces--NOT thick ones!)

Bake at 350 until the juice is all bubbly. About 20 minutes or so.


Tonight I mixed in blueberries with the peaches. I loved this! Last time I did cherries. They were good, but I think the blueberries and peaches were better!

Serve with ice cream (if you eat ice cream). The recipe is vegan. I want to try putting in sliced almonds into the topping, but I like it so much the way it is that I'm scared to try it, but I'm sure it'd be yummy!

I expect I'll be making this a great deal this summer. It is sooooo easy!

No comments: