Saturday, January 19, 2008

N asks...

Today, N (6) and I were hanging in the kitchen when she asked me how my friend DK died. Deep breath... I said DK had something go wrong with one of the blood vessels in her head. N asked how it went wrong. I said we didn't know. As far as I know, DK didn't have any warning signs. I never heard her complain about headaches. If she had them, I'm imagining she just wrote them off to stress. She wasn't in a high risk category for stroke. She wasn't overweight, didn't smoke, ate pretty darn healthy foods, and exercised some (she wanted to do more, but hadn't figured out how to work it in).

N and I talked more about how DK did do all the healthy things I just mentioned and N didn't understand how she could have died. DK played by the rules--dying shouldn't have been the outcome. It wasn't fair. It really rocks your world when you don't have an explanation.

How can she possibly be gone? Gone as in really gone. As in never ever coming back. How? I haven't deleted her phone number from my cell phone... Occasionally, I hit it by accident. I would love to talk with her again. I should probably delete it, but I don't want to delete it. I should be able to call her. I can't. I miss her.

No comments: