Friday, October 19, 2007

Interview of me by Galloping Cats (Part 1)

My internet friend, with really cool cat pictures on her blog, sent me some interview questions. I asked her to interview me after I read the answers she gave in an interview. She's been thinking a lot about being a working mom lately, it's the theme of the interview she gave, and this interview.

1. How have the challenges of being a working mom changed as your girls get older?
At least she didn't ask "How have the challenges of being a working mom changed as you've gotten older" (heh).

N is almost six years old, so I'm six years into this working-mom gig. For me, it's gotten more challenging to juggle it all. N's in kindergarten, and I volunteer in the classroom; K's in preschool and there are tons of parties and shows, and I want to be there for it all; and I want to just hang out a lot with my sweet T (2) before she starts preschool next year.

It's a lot. I like to spend one-on-one time with each girl each week.

How ever do I find the time to work?

I don't know.

When I got pregnant with T (#3), I wasn't sure if I'd be able to keep working. This made me sad. I love my work. I wanted to be able to do it all. One huge challenge was having 3 children in 4 years. It takes a lot of time to be pregnant and then on maternity leave. A polite way to say the status of my career is, it's not on the fasttrack.

On the one hand, I have worked really hard to make sure I have learned a new skill or written a paper for publication each year. It has been a lot of work. I am glad I have done it though. On the other hand, I look at other people and what they've accomplished at work in the last 6 years and I know I am very far behind. It's okay though.

My supervisor and I were talking yesterday, and the conversation went something like this....

Him "You should lead XXXX."
ME "I can't lead XXXX."
Him "Why not? You've been here 10 years... You can lead XXXX."
ME "But you forget, I had 3 kids in 4 years and I don't have the contacts or quals on paper to lead XXXX. I haven't done this before and I am going to need your help to do XXXX. I think I can do it, but I haven't done it before."

Fortunately, my supervisor is very supportive and will help me. If I had another person as a supervisor, I would not be able to speak so frankly or admit the consequences of having 3 kids in 4 years. I am very thankful I have the supervisor I have.


2. If you could go back in time and train for a different type of career, what would it be?

I don't want to train for a different career. I am very happy doing what I do. I went to school forever (Ph.D.). I graduated and found a really wonderful job--absolutely perfect for me. I work really hard. I couldn't work this hard if I didn't love it. I have a lot of different directions I could go from where I am, but I am not ready to make changes right now.

If I wanted to make more money, I wouldn't change what I studied in school, but I'd go back and add more computer science to my studies. (Just as an aside, my career is not a lucrative one! I love it, but I am not high-paid. It is important work.) I learned to program a teeny-tiny bit when I was in graduate school, but I should have taken it more seriously and learned a great deal more. If I were a decent programmer, I could make more money.


Stay tuned for Part 2.

1 comment:

Cat, Galloping said...

good, thoughtful, interesting answers! i really don't know how any of us do it.

i'm jealous that you are doing something you're really passionate about. if i have one regret, it's that i never found my passion. i hope gatito finds his!