Monday, September 17, 2007

How was your day?

Mine was kind of busy. Exciting, tiring, frustrating, fun, overwhelming, and inspiring...

One of the sweetest moments occurred this morning... MWH got Miss T (2) up. When they came to see me, she said, "I missed Mommy." She was just referring to overnight, I believe. Awwww. My sweet T! She is in a Mommy-phase. I'm trying to get even more time with her.

My little girls love "monsters" and other scary stuff. If N (5.5) acts scared, T acts very scared. They seem to love to scream and scare themselves by going into "dark corners" and stuff. I know it's age appropriate... I need to do a little more reading about the developmental process around/causing this behavior. (Yea, I'm a geek!)

K (3) loves preschool. It's nice to have her excited about her days again. Yippee!

My class is going...They turned in their first assignment today. I started grading. I developed my rubric, started outlining what I'm seeing in the papers and what I want to see... Only 24 more papers to grade. It will probably take about 5 hours for the grading. I don't know if I'll be done by class. I will know a little more about how to teach this class after I grade the assignment.

I got a good question today... Or rather, I got a student telling me that he didn't buy something. It was good that he told me because about 5 other people nodded in agreement when he said something seemed "lame." I explained the image, what it all meant, and added more contexty-information and at the end, I *think* he seemed to think that maybe it was possible. We'll discuss it more again on Wednesday and see what he / they think now that they've had some more time to think.

His question, or point, made me realize how much the students don't actually know. They need everything spelled out for them. They are cynical and decide that something couldn't possibly be true if they don't understand it. Why are there books written on the subject if it's not true? Why do people devote their lives to understanding it better? They are so young. There is so much they don't understand, and it seems like most of them don't want to seek out knowledge. Or even if they want to seek it, they have no clue how to go about doing the seeking. I'm hoping to inspire some of them to ask those questions, express their doubts and then try to find out the answer themselves.

Okay... One more hour on that project I don't like and then I'll be good and won't have to worry about it until Friday! Woo-hoo.

1 comment:

RUTH said...

Why are there books written on the subject if it's not true? Why do people devote their lives to understanding it better?

Does this mean all religions are true?