Monday, June 04, 2007

Transitions

Documenting for me... Not a well written post... Just thinking aloud. Read or not. Your call. You have been warned about the lack of coherence that will follow.

I'm trying to transition back to "just working" and maintain only working 20 hours a week and not feel guilty about it. HAHAHAHAHA.

My supervisor and I were discussing how we feel that working where we work is sucking the life force from our bodies. It's nice to be able to have conversations like this with "my boss." It's not often you can. He and I are tired. He's got two young children. He wants to be able to enjoy his family and not just work all of the time. Me too.

My supervisor definitely feels more pressure than I do. He's more senior and has more responsibility. I look at some of the more junior folks and I'm envious of the lack of responsibility they have. I imagine that is how my supervisor feels when he looks at me. My supervisor shields me from some of the pressure. I appreciate that. The big problem for me, is that I also love teaching. Teaching is very time consuming. This fall, I will be teaching again...

It will take a lot of time.... I got the teaching "thing" I applied for.... I'm thrilled and excited, but now I have more work to do. I don't know how I will make it all work, but I'm trying to figure it out. I'm going to try to do as much preparation time as possible over this summer. I started doing some of the reading for the class on Saturday. I will be reading ~20/26 articles that i've not read before and teaching with them. Not a problem, but I do need to read them and figure out what I want to say about them. I should probably go get the reader, eh?

I'm sure I'll talk more about the "thing" soon... Basically, I applied to teach in the way cool technology lab at the university. I am thrilled as this helps tie teaching and my "real job" together a bit more. If I could figure out a way to tie them together better, instead of keeping them separate and having to "switch" between things, it would be easier for me. The amount of task switching I had to do last semester nearly did me in. So much cognitive overload associated with task switching. Looking back to just May, I don't know how I did it.

Okay, rambling post coming to an end now.

No comments: