Thursday, May 24, 2007

Flexibility

I am a very flexible person. Both in terms of being easy-going, and literally in terms of doing the splits and that sort of stretchy-thing.

When I was 16, my tap teacher turned 50. I thought she was so cool because she could do the splits at 50. I decided to make it a personal goal to be able to do the splits at 50 too. I'm not even close to 50, but I am over 35, and I can do the splits still. I hadn't done them in a year or so, but last night, I tried. I can still do the right side perfectly, but the left hamstring has been a little injured of late. I'm only about 90-95% splitting (is that a verb?) on the left side. I will be stretching and working on doing the splits on the left. Maybe, if you ask nicely, I'll post a picture :-).

I was reminded of my goal of the splits when Nino posted her Mother's Day adventures. I want her to be my new BFF. Her post reminded me that I need to make sure I can acheive my goal.

I am a firm believer that turning upside down on a regular basis will keep you young! I did a backbend last night to loosen up the old back (yea, it still hurts). I was pleased that I could still do one after a couple years of not, and will work on getting back in walkover and handspring form. Three pregnancies in four years tends to put a damper on how many cartwheels and walkovers one does! My goal for the weekend is to capture some photos of N (5) doing a cartwheel, and K (3) and T (21 months) doing some tumbling too. Maybe I'll get MWH to catch one of my cartwheels on digital bits. Fun, fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE to see those pictures. You know what? I was sore in places I forgot I even HAD for several days after my Mother's Day antics and it felt SO good (I know, I'm sick). I wonder if I could still do a split...hang on....OMFG, I just did one. OK I've got to get a picture of that! We're so cool. We need to get together and WOW everyone with our mad flexibility. HA HA HA HA I'm laughing because in my head it's playing like quite the farce...think: Blades of Glory (the movie...which I haven't seen). BA HA HA HA Miss you, my sweet friend! We need to chat more. Muah!