Sunday, February 18, 2007

still coughing and random little girl stuff

I've had moments today where I haven't felt too bad. Sudafed, Afrin and Tylenol have made this possible. It's when I cough and can't stop that it's a problem (and that's what I've been doing almost all night). I've taken a couple of N's cough strips and they help for a while.

I hope the worst is over. I'm not feeling too triumphant yet though since a) N has been coughing on and off for 3 weeks and b) last summer I coughed for a long time. My goal right now is to be able to make it through class tomorrow. I think if I take a cough strip and just suck on a cough lozenge the whole time I'll be okay. Also, I was coughing a lot less this afternoon. I think it's gotten worse this evening. Since my class is earlier in the day, I am hopeful.

I know you're getting sick of reading about the status of my cold.... However, it's what is looming large for me.

*************

I will share a funny thing N said at the grocery store today. Miss T (18 months) was sitting in front of the cart, N (5) was riding on the back and K (2.75) was holding on to the side. I felt like I had a flock of little girls or something. While we were going through the store, N said something like, "Maybe we should have 4 little girls. That would be fun. Wouldn't 4 little girls be fun?" My reply was something like, "Bite your tongue N_____!" MWH was around the corner of another aisle and was very confused when he heard N saying that. I'm not sure why she said it, but I think she liked having all 3 of them on the cart and hanging together. I think N was aware of the cuteness of the moment.

*************

K's potty training status... I'm pretty impressed. She's dry during the day. She still wants to wear pull-ups (25-50% of the time). She seems to like to wear them, but since she stays dry in them it isn't a big deal. I'm going to encourage "big girl pants" more during the day, but I don't want to force the issue. She wears pull-ups at night and stays dry all night about 50% of the time. I'm happy for her to keep wearing pull-ups at night until she's 100% reliable. Changing sheets in the middle of the night is not my idea of fun.

*************

In case you were wondering, I don't recommend the movie Babe for 5 year olds. N is fascinated by it, but it has quite a bit of animal violence, and the farmer points a gun at Babe (when he thinks Babe hurt a sheep). When the farmer learns that Babe is not guilty he doesn't hurt Babe, but N was soooooo confused by all of this. We've had to talk about this a lot. I guess it's not a bad thing when movies spark questions, but I wasn't ready to deal with guns yet, but I did.

*************

Here are some of T's newest words...

2/10-12
chair
hi
Woof

2/14
tea
toast
sit

2/17
Open
Pop (as in bubbles)

2/18
eyes
All done (usually she signs this, but she's been saying it now too)

She's also been saying a lot of "sentences" where she just will look at you and say a whole bunch of syllables and look at you like, "why don't you understand? I'm talking here!"

I love watching language acquisition!

No comments: