Wednesday, January 10, 2007

N's Birthday

N's birthday was great. N is great. She is 5 now. We had fun. To celebrate, we had N's first nanny and husband, and her current nanny for dinner last night. It was low-key, but we'd already done the BIG party on Friday. (I still have thank you notes to write too!)

I didn't get a picture of it, but when we sang happy birthday to her last night, she looked a little like the Statue of Liberty. I had baked cupcakes for her party, and cupcakes for preschool, and I just didn't have any more time to bake anything else. We decided to do ice cream cones last night. N LOVES ice cream cones, so I figured she'd be fine with this. I stuck the birthday candle (a 5) on top of her ice cream cone and lit it. She held the cone up as we sang to her, kind of like a flaming torch, ergo Statue of Liberty.

She is such a sweet and cool kid. She is smart too. She loves counting to 100 now. She is back into trains and less into princesses! I can't believe she's 5. She is excited to be 5. I am still adjusting. Wowza. A 5 year old. Who would have thought?

I just asked MWH if he has anything he wanted to record for posterity about N on her 5th birthday.... First, before I record what he wants me to record, I have to explain that MWH loves his shower. His shower is usually a 30-40 minute event in the morning. He thought a long time about what features he wanted in the new shower that he designed. He did a great job. I have to say that I really appreciate the new shower, but I probably take it forgranted. He did a great job. (MWH takes cheese forgranted--heh... Just too tired to explain that one though. Diversity makes the world less boring though.)

MWH wants to record how N has decided she is old enough for a shower.

In the new shower in the girls' bathroom, the shower is adjustable height. N is now proudly taking a shower, with the shower adjusted for a 45 inch (or so) tall person, behind the shower curtain, all by herself, as she puts it, "Just like a Grown-up."

Last night, she said, "Look, I'm washing my hair, just like a grown up. Look, I'm washing my face, just like a grown up. Look, I'm taking a shower, just like a grown-up."

Just like a grown up.

Where did my first baby go? How did she get so big? It's wonderful, it's fun to watch, but I can't believe it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For a guy who takes cheese for granted, he's a pretty good guy.

She's FIVE!