Tuesday, January 30, 2007

No way to write this right...

When I was trying to get pregnant with N, after my miscarriage, and after many cycles with too short of a lutuel phase and not good progesterone on day 21, I convinced that something was wrong, seriously wrong with me.

My OB was sympathetic. She tested me for all sorts of infections, blood clotting problems, auto-immune disorders (I'd had/have one), and gave me clomid.

She also told me something like this, "Nearly everyone, of childbearing age, in a sexual relationship, with a functioning, normal-shaped uterus and clear fallopian tubes will end up pregnant and having a baby at some point. Even though it feels like it is taking forever, at some point, the stars will align and all of the conditions will be just perfect--the egg, the sperm, and the uterine lining will all be perfect. Then after conception, all of the hormones required to support the pregnancy will be in balance. Sometimes it doesn't seem like it will ever happen, but most likely it will. What we do with fertility treatments is just try to speed up the aligning of the stars. Sometimes we can, and sometimes we can't. Sometimes it just takes time."

I think she was trying to prepare me that it might take a while, and that medical science might not be able to help me, but that sometimes nature does the right thing. Fortunately, clomid and progesterone suppositories did the trick for N and K.


Then BAM, when I was saying, "It might be nice to have a third baby in a couple of years...." The stars aligned and T showed up.

My world was rocked. I am so grateful.

I know that there have been a few surprises in the blogosphere lately. I know, for some of these women who experienced a much longer journey of infertility, their worlds are even more rocked than mine was. I just want to say, that I don't think they "just relaxed." I think it was much more than that. The stars aligned.

I hope, for all of them, that things are good and continue to stay good. I say many NBHHYs for them every night . For every woman who wants to become a mother, I wish that for them. I wouldn't wish infertility on my worst enemy. Every day, I am thankful for my 3 little girls.

2 comments:

RUTH said...

I'd wish triplets on my worst enemy :-)

Linda said...

Oh this is so sweet of you. Thanks so much.