Monday, October 02, 2006

I am a stress junky

I figured out that one of the reasons that I am a workaholic is that I am a stress junky. Being stressed out gives me an adrenaline rush and I physically feel better. When I'm not stressed, my back hurts more and so does my jaw. I feel a long post about my jaw coming on. You may
remember
that my jaw has been giving me troubles. It still is. More on that soon (most likely).

Part my problem is that I set expectations for myself that are very high (impossible even) and when I fail to meet them I am bummed. For example, I have done more than my hours with this one organization we are consulting with but I still try to make their meetings (as a volunteer). I just remembered (because of an email) that I missed their monthly phone meeting AGAIN. I will be there next month. I need to make it clear to the people involved that their meeting time SUCKS for me and that I usually can't make it and that though I want to be there, they should PAY me and then I can make sure I am there.

It's a problem when you love what you do so much that you are willing to do it for free. And when you work with poor organizations that want to "do good" things but don't have a clue about how to go about doing those things. I want to keep working with so many of the organizations who come to us for initial consulting after the money ends. I often do. But then I get myself into trouble because I can't keep up with everyone and the work I have to do for pay. Arrrghh. Okay. End post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My parents are academics. It took me years and years to realise that normal people don't have jobs which are also one of their favourite hobbies. It became easier to find a job after that. A job that now I have kids I don't think about when I'm not at work.

It sounds like you have a job which is also a favourite hobby. I know that there are disadvantages of that but I can't help but be a little envious.