Monday, February 13, 2006

Wean.... Part 2

Miss K (21 months) has refused to nurse since early in the morning Saturday morning. She's still recovering from the croup, and is doing a lot better, but is kind of on a food strike. It's really hard to get her to eat or drink anything. I can't believe she won't nurse. I feel terrible. Right before we went on our vacation she and I had a talk. I told her how someday she wouldn't need to nurse any more. She's been my baby who loves to nurse. I asked her what she thought and she didn't really respond.

She nursed fine after our talk (I think it was last Tuesday or Wednesday) through Saturday. Now I feel terrible because she's either self-weaned cold turkey, or is just on a nursing strike. Though I wanted to wean when she was around 2 years, I never expected her to wean before she hit age 2. I feel so terrible. Did she decide to wean because I told her someday she wouldn't need to nurse anymore? Is this just a nursing strike because her nose is stuffy? She's having trouble sucking her thumb, so I'm hopeful that it's just a nursing strike.

Oh, the guilt... It's tough to be a Mom!

I've been pumping lots, Nothing like pumping 10 - 15 ounces first thing in the morning! I don't know if I'm ready for Miss K to wean, but there's nothing you can do when you offer and your toddler says, "Nope!" She won't drink the expressed milk either.

She's saying "Nope" to most foods though so I guess I can't take it too personally. I hope she's feeling better tomorrow and that she eats more, or nurses or something! (I have offered everything I can think of that she might like to eat or drink. I even made a special run to J*amba Juice tonight packing up all 3 girls and going just for K 'cause she asked for it. She drank a little, not worth writing home, or a blog entry, about though.)

On a related note, Miss T had her first taste of solid food yesterday. I mashed some (organic) bananas with breastmilk. She had maybe a speck of banana. She wasn't impressed. That's okay. I guess, it wasn't her first taste of solid food. I gave her a teeny tiny speck of avacado a couple of weeks ago. She really didn't like it. The banana, she didn't like, but it was more of a confused dislike it than a vehement dislike that she gave to the avacado.

It will be odd if Miss K weans now. Then Miss T would be my only nursling and soon she will be eating more and more solids. Oh my babies are growing up. It goes so fast!

No comments: